Monday, November 14, 2011

Lesson 16: Plane Tickets and French Security

Yes, I know... I haven't updated the blog in basically a year.  I thought I'd informed you of all my study abroad tips and secrets, but alas I finally realized I failed to mention one major - but totally obvious - lesson.

BOOK YOUR FREAKING PLANE TICKETS EARLY.  Months and months early.  Like as soon as you find out you're studying abroad.  WITHIN THAT WEEK!  Do not listen to your friends or family saying "well, prices might drop. blah blah blah."  No, they probably won't.  If you sit around on your ass you will end up paying way more than you need to.

So should you use Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Kayak, or any of those websites with "cheaper" ticket rates? No.  Being in a long distance relationship for the past year has taught me many things, one of them being that these websites totally suck.  Sometimes their rates are hundreds of dollars more expensive than they should be. Good old American Airlines has the cheapest tickets for the time being.  Yes, AA.com.  I know, it shocked me too but go see for yourself.  And that AA Advantage program wouldn't be a bad idea either considering the ridiculous amount of miles you can rack up flying across the world.  Also, it's usually cheapest to fly on Tuesdays for some reason.



This thought also reminded me of my way back to the States, and the lovely experience I had going back through French security.  Be prepared for them to ask you lots of weird questions.  "Where did you pack your bag this morning?"  "Did you pack it or someone else?"  "You just said 'we,' who is we referring to?  Did this person pack your bag?"  "How did you get to the airport?"



So obnoxious.

Once I got through that charade and like 2 security check points, I thought I was safe.  Nope.  Some French security lady at the gate asked me where my bag was.  I told her I checked it.  Then she pointed to my duffel bag next to me and ASKED WHERE IT WAS.  Hello, you just pointed to it, moron.  Clearly, it is still sitting there on the ground where it was .5 seconds ago.




That is all for now, unless I randomly think of something else again.  France me manque!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment